|MAIN OFFICE (631) 360-7514
WASTE MANAGEMENT (631) 754-4998
FAX: (631) 360-0227
|DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT & WATERWAYS|
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING RUSSELL K. BARNETT DIRECTOR
STARTING JANUARY 01, 2015
Single Stream Recycling eliminates the need to separate your recyclables into paper products for collection one week, and bottles and cans the next. All recyclables can be mixed together and put out every Wednesday. You can use your existing recycling containers, or contact us at (631) 269 — 6600 for a free decal to place on any container you choose. In addition, more items than ever before are recyclable. Of particular note, you can now recycle ALL PLASTICS labelled with recycling symbols #’s 1 through 7, and rigid plastics such as milk crates, buckets and laundry baskets. Please look over the following lists of both acceptable and unacceptable materials. Recycling is now easier than ever before.
ACCEPTED FOR SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING:
- Aluminum: Cans, beverage and food containers, foil, and pie pans. Please clean.
- Books: Hardbound (with the cover torn off and discarded), paperback and text books.
- Cardboard: Paperboard boxes, corrugated boxes, egg containers, food boxes (including cereal boxes and pizza boxes), frozen food packaging, mailing boxes and shoe boxes. Please remove any plastic or Styrofoam packaging material from inside the boxes.
- Glass containers: Bottles and jars (brown, clear or green) used for food, liquids, beverages, soda, and water. Please clean.
- Mail: Mail (junk mail, catalogs, cards, magazines, etc…) and envelopes (all kinds).
- Metal: All types of metal including beverage and food containers, aluminum, tin, steel, iron, etc…
- Paper: All colors and types of un-waxed paper including catalogs, folders, junk mail, magazines, mixed paper, newspaper (all types), non-metallic wrapping paper, office papers, printer paper, school papers and shredded paper (please place shredded paper inside a clear plastic bag).
- Plastic containers (#1 – 7): Bottles and jars, detergent/bleach bottles, juice bottles, milk jugs, soda bottles, water bottles, wide-mouthed containers such as cottage cheese, margarine, mayonnaise, sour cream and yogurt containers, drinking cups and empty prescription bottles including lids and caps. Please clean.
- Rigid Plastics – Rigid plastics which include milk/soda crates, buckets, laundry baskets, plastic lawn furniture, plastic drums, coolers, plastic flower pots, watering cans, large water bottles, pallets, pet carriers, shelving, closet organizers and unwanted garbage cans (empty).
- Spray cans: empty aerosol cans.
- Tin: Cans and foil. Please clean.
- Waxed cartons used for liquids such as juices, milk or soups. Please empty and clean.
NOT ACCEPTED FOR SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING:
- Anti-freeze Containers
- Appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers. Please call (631) 269 — 4548.
- Cat litter
- Chemicals or household hazardous waste. No bottles or cans of oil, pesticides, gasoline or chemicals.
- Coat Hangers
- Contaminated paper products. No used napkins, paper towels, waxed paper, paper plates or tissue.
- Drinking Glasses
- Dry cleaning bags
- E-Waste such as televisions, computers and monitors, etc. Please call (631) 269 — 4548.
- Food waste
- Glass (window and mirror)
- Hazardous Waste
- Household Items (such as batteries, cat litter, drinking glasses, food waste or garbage)
- Light bulbs
- Medical Waste
- Needles/syringes/sharp items
- Paint and paint cans
- Plates (plastic or ceramic)
- Plastic bags including shopping and grocery bags and newspaper covers. Please note that most grocery stores collect bags for recycling.
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic Containers with no # at all
- Styrofoam and Styrofoam packaging material
- Styrofoam carry out or deli food containers
- Waxed paper
- Window or Auto Glass
- Yard waste